TERMS & CONDITIONS
Please note that due to legal restrictions, we are unable to accept bookings from USA and Canadian residents.
All Car Hire 4 Less rental rates include:
- Unlimited mileage except Banff and Jasper in Canada and Australia and certain car types worldwide.
- Third party insurance.
- Collision damage waiver liability. This covers you for damage to your rental car in the event of an accident, except where negligence is proved.
- Theft waiver.
- Airport surcharges, with the exception of Israel.
- Bail bonds (where needed).
- All local taxes except Australia where taxes are paid locally by law.
What's not included?
- Personal accident insurance (PAI): this is probably covered in your holiday insurance. It is an option, which you will be offered on collection of the car.
- Additional non-mandatory insurances.
- Insurance exclusions - see the relevant insurance sections.
- Fuel: a deposit is often payable for fuel and is usually refunded if the car is returned with a full tank. Fuel policies vary. Please check when you pick up your car.
- Garaging, tolls, congestion charges, parking and traffic fines.
- Additional drivers charges where applicable - please check online or with our reservations department at the time of booking. These charges are payable locally.
- Delivery and collection of your car can be arranged during normal working hours. There may be a charge for this.
- Out of hours charges.
- Optional extras.
- One-way rental charges where applicable.
- Young drivers charges where applicable.
- Licence fees in Barbados and Jersey.
- For airport car rental pick-ups, it is essential that Car Hire 4 Less be given the correct flight number and arrival time, before departure. This can be done either online or by phone.
- If this is not available at the time of booking, please ensure that you inform us of this at least 7 days prior to departure, either online or by phone. No responsibility can be accepted or compensation allowed for a failed rental due to the late provision of this information.
- All local taxes except Australia where taxes are paid locally by law.
- If you are under 25 or over 65 years old please inform our reservations staff at the time of booking. Age restrictions may apply in certain destinations, and in some cases there may be a young drivers charge payable locally.
Cancellation Administration Charge
- Car Hire 4 Less levy a charge for cancellation of any booking you are unable to honour prior to your collection date (see below).
- No refunds will be given for rentals ended early, late collections, no shows or cancellations made after the rental start date.
- All cancellations must be made in writing, emailed to email@example.com (and vouchers returned) and will take effect from the date received by Car Hire 4 Less.
- Vouchers must be returned as soon as possible and be received by us before the date on which they could be used otherwise no refund of any pre-payment will be made.
- Please notify us prior to departure
- A cancellation fee of 5% will apply
Interruption Protection Insurance
- For just R100 per rental, Car Hire 4 Less interuption protection insurance will provide you with a refund for the unused portion of your rental should you need to return the vehicle early. Such insurance must be purchased at the time of booking.
Period of Car Rental
- The duration of your rental starts and finishes according to the pick-up and drop-off dates and times detailed on your voucher, the price of which will be confirmed at time of booking and is calculated on the basis of 24-hour units.
- If you wish to extend the rental period after collection of the car, or if you return the car later than stated on your voucher, you will be charged locally at the local daily rate, which may be higher than our rates. No refunds are payable on rental cars returned early.
Best Price Guarantee
- If you find a cheaper like for like pre-paid rental price offered by any other independent South African car rental operator who sells car rental via a travel agent, before or after booking but prior to departure, Car Hire 4 Less will best endeavour to match that price.
- Rental location (on or off airport) can affect the price, and best price will not apply where Car Hire 4 Less' price including an on-airport pick-up when compared to a price with an off-airport pick-up.
- Car Hire 4 Less may need to verify the availability and conditions applicable to the lower rate to ensure that an accurate comparison is being made. This will be done immediately, you can choose to hold on the line while this process is completed, or alternatively our reservations agent will call you back.
- Best price guarantee does not apply to promotional offers.
- Child seats: these are mandatory in most countries and must be requested at the time of booking. Although instructions will be provided you will be required to fit the child seat yourself. For older children, it is recommended that you take your own booster seats. If requested and confirmed at least 7 days prior to departure these will be guaranteed.
- Roof racks and ski racks: these are available in some locations and should be specially requested at the time of booking. There is usually a charge for them which is payable locally. No guarantee can be made regarding their availability unless you book the 'ski max' (where available).
- Amendments to a booking will be subject to a R5 amendment fee.
Delivery and Collection/One-Way Car Rentals
- Delivery is normally to a local office, with a driver collecting you from your accommodation to pick up the car. A charge for delivery and collection payable locally may apply and will be advised on booking if applicable.
- Collection is normally at the airport or local office.
- In some locations deliveries are available during normal working hours. If you would like your car to be delivered, full address and delivery time must be given at the time of booking.
- Delivery and collection and one-way car rentals must be booked by phone and do not qualify for a web booking discount.
Out of Hours Charges
- In most locations flights will be met and cars supplied outside of normal working hours. However, there may be an additional charge for this service payable locally. This will be quoted when your flight timings are given to us. In the event that a flight is delayed, causing the car pick-up to fall outside normal working hours, the additional charge will be made locally, where the out of hours service is available.
- Car Hire 4 Less can accept no further responsibility where there is no out of hours facility available and it is therefore recommended that customers should take independant travel insurance.
- Drivers must produce a full South African driving licence held for at least one year (or in some cases an international driving licence).
- In certain locations and for some car types, drivers must have held a full licence for a minimum of 2 years.
- It is the driver's responsibility to ensure that he/she has the appropriate driving licence.
- Our reservations agent must be informed of any endorsements on the driver's licence, as we may not be able to take your booking.
- No refunds will be given for rentals rejected due to non-production of a driving licence or non-disclosed endorsements.
- Faxed or photocopied licences are not acceptable!
- The rental voucher must be presented when picking up your rental car. Car Hire 4 Less cannot be held responsible for rentals rejected if a voucher is not presented.
- You should retain your rental documents and related receipts for a minimum of 28 days after returning home.
- Charges often apply for additional drivers and are payable locally on pick-up. Car Hire 4 Less cannot be held responsible for any increase in charges. Please check online or with our reservations department at the time of booking.
- Deposits vary by destination.
- All customers will be required to leave a deposit to cover the insurance excess and fuel. To do so, a valid credit card in the name of the lead driver, must be produced upon collection of the car, as a form of deposit.
- Cash deposits are rarely accepted.
- Where a deposit for fuel is payable, it will usually be refunded if the car is returned with a full tank. If the tank is not returned full, our local car rental partner will charge for fuel at its prevailing rate. They may also levy a refuelling charge. Please check the fuel policy when you pick up your car.
- Deposits against damage are required in some countries. A major credit card can be used for this purpose.
Provision of Cars
- Our local car rental partner can refuse to provide a car to any customer who is, in their opinion, unfit to drive or does not meet eligibility requirements. In such circumstances your contract with us will terminate immediately, and we will have no further liability to you, and no refund will be due.
Number of Passengers
- Our rental cars are insured for a maximum number of passengers. Car Hire 4 Less cannot accept responsibility if the vehicle is not large enough to fit all passengers and luggage on arrival if details were not supplied at the time of booking. In the interest of safety this number must not be exceeded and if exceeded the insurance will be invalidated.
- Restrictions are applicable when crossing country/state borders with the rental car. Please consult our reservations department at the time of booking as to whether border crossing is permitted and what, if any, charges apply.
Insurance Exclusions and Damage Excess Refund Product
- You will be required to leave a deposit to the value of any insurance excess, which may be charged by our car rental partner, if the car is damaged during the rental
- It does not cover damage to wheels, tyres, windows, the roof, the underside, the interior of the car, towing charges or damage caused wilfully or recklessly. You may therefore be liable for the cost of this damage.
- Insurance cover is not provided for the contents of the car in the event of theft.
- In the event that keys are lost or damaged you will be liable for reasonable costs for obtaining a replacement, and further costs if directly related to the theft of the car.
- Insurance does not include cover for taking four wheel drive vehicles 'off road' or on un-tarmacked tracks, neither for unauthorised cross country / state crossings.
- All taxes are included except those on any extras purchased locally. e.g. One-way drop-off fees, child seats and additional drivers.
- Car Hire 4 Less reserves the right to levy any government increases in local taxes that may be introduced after the printing of these terms and conditions. Any additional charges payable on arrival are subject to local taxes at the prevailing rate in that country.
- Car Hire 4 Less are unable to guarantee a particular make, model or fuel type of car. The car shown on your booking voucher is for guidance only and may be substituted for an alternative, similar or upgraded car (at no extra cost).
- If you have booked a prestige car, the specific car booked is guaranteed.
- If it becomes impossible to provide your booked car due to breakdown or an accident, a similar or upgraded car will be provided.
- If you are dissatisfied in any way with the standard of your booked car, you must advise our local car rental booking partner immediately and Car Hire 4 Less in writing within 28 days of your return. Failure to do so may result in any claims not being accepted or settled by Car Hire 4 Less.
- Restrictions are applicable when crossing country/state borders. Please consult our reservations department at the time of booking a car as to whether border crossing is permitted and what, if any, charges apply.
- In the event of any mechanical difficulties or accidents involving your car, it is important that details are reported to our local car rental partner within 24 hours.
- In the event of an accident you must also complete an accident report form by the end of the rental period.
- Local police should also be notified in the case of accidents and a signed police report obtained.
- Full details of third parties should also be obtained.
- Our local car rental partner must give authority to repair or replace a vehicle. Their name and contact details are shown on your voucher and rental agreement.
- You should retain copies of all rental documentation in the event an insurance company is involved.
- Your insurance cover may be invalidated if this procedure is not followed correctly and this may prejudice any claim for compensation.
- A check-in form must be signed on return of the vehicle. Failure to do so may delay the investigation of disputes regarding damage excess charges.
- Car Hire 4 Less aims to resolve complaints within 28 days of receipt. In doing so a situation may arise where customers or travel agents receive a refund, goodwill gesture and/or compensation payment of a duplicated nature, from both Car Hire 4 Less and our local car rental partner. In such an event Car Hire 4 Less reserves the right to recover such duplicated payments at any time within two calendar years of such an event. Some complaints may take longer than 28 days owing to the nature of the issue and information provided. Car Hire 4 Less can only consider complaints that reach them within 180 days of the final day of rental to which the rental voucher refers. Actions against Car Hire 4 Less are restricted to the laws that occur within the jurisdiction of the South African courts.
Third Party Top-Up Insurance
- All rentals in the USA and Canada include third party liability insurance, which conforms to the statutory minimum required by each state but can be as low as $5,000.
- Car Hire 4 Less prices include excess liability insurance (also known as supplementary liability insurance (SLI) or extended protection (EP)). This offers third party liability insurance above the minimum level of protection (see above) and increases your third party protection to $1,000,000 in respect of any claims made against you.
- EP also provides coverage up to $100,000 ($40,000 in Texas). These benefits are provided to the renter and any family member related by blood, marriage or adoption, who, while occupying the rental car, sustained bodily injury or death caused by a negligent uninsured/underinsured motorist. Please note that certain car rental partners do not provide this cover.
Additional Conditions for Australia
- All rentals in metropolitan areas of Australia include unlimited mileage, except minivans where rates include 200 kms per day.
- In country areas, rates include 200 kms per day.
- In remote areas, the rates include 100 kms per day.
- Excess kilometres are charged at au $0.30 per km.
- A security deposit of between au $275 and au $1100, depending on rental car type, is statutory upon collection of the vehicle. Any major credit card in the lead driver's name is acceptable for this security deposit.
The Max Includes:
- A full tank of fuel.
- An additional named driver.
- No out of hours charges for pick-ups or drop-offs at airport locations.
- Delivery and collection where available at max locations within a 15km radius, and within office hours. Not available in USA or Canada.
- One-way car rentals - only applicable for pick-ups/drop-offs within the same country. Not available in USA/Canada.
- Cancellation protection.
- Advance registration: you will need to supply us with the named drivers' details, driving licence, date of birth, home address, contact address during rental, passport number and place/date of issue. You can also advance register at www.carhire4less.co.za. This information must be received 7 days prior to rental start date.
Ski max Includes:
- A full tank of fuel
- Guaranteed snow tyres or chains
- Guaranteed ski rack.
- An additional named driver.
- No out of hours charges for pick-ups or drop-offs at airport locations.
- Cancellation protection.
- Advance registration (See 'the max' section for details).
- All bookings by our customers are subject to our terms and conditions.
- The customer acknowledges that in making a booking with Car Hire 4 Less he/she does so only on the basis of the material contained in our brochure, voucher, on our website or information provided on the phone by its employees.
- Car Hire 4 Less acts as a car rental broker and agent for various independent rental companies in the countries in which it operates. Bookings made through Car Hire 4 Less are subject to these terms and conditions. Please note that the rental of the vehicle will be subject to the law of the country in which it is supplied to you and for this reason you will be required to sign a car rental contract with the rental company which supplies the vehicle. You should satisfy yourself that you understand (and agree) to its terms and conditions, as you will be subject to, and must comply with these terms, and the local law.
- Car Hire 4 Less cannot accept liability for any charges incurred on car rental contracts / documentation signed for and accepted locally.
- Car Hire 4 Less will not be held responsible for anyone driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, causing wilful damage, off road driving or driving without due care and attention. The customer will accept responsibility in respect of such claims.This list is not exclusive.
- Cars and all offers, including 'the max' and 'ski max' are subject to availability. All information in these terms and conditions, including prices, is correct at the time of publication - November 2003.
- All prices in the brochure apply at the time of printing (April 2003) but we reserve the right to change any of these prices from time to time. Prices can go up or down. Please check our website for all up-to-date prices and services. Your local travel agent or Car Hire 4 Less reservations agent will also be able to tell you the up to date price of your chosen car rental and of any other service advertised in this brochure before confiming your booking.
How a Car Rental Contract is Formed with Car Hire 4 Less
- The way in which a contract is formed, for the purchase of car rental, is basically the same whether you book over the phone or via our website. However you choose to book, it is important to understand how and when a contract is formed.
- The technical steps required for a contract to be formed are as follows:- When we quote prices over the telephone or place products on our website we are inviting you to make an offer for their purchase. You do not make this offer until you do so verbally or by pressing "Book Now".
- You have made Car Hire 4 Less an offer to purchase the products once you have either pressed "Book Now" or done so verbally. Car Hire 4 Less will then accept this offer when it has both received full payment and has sent you your confirmation voucher. Once done there is a binding car rental contract between you and Car Hire 4 Less for the product.
- Prior to making your booking and if you are at all unsure of anything relating to the arrangements being made or simply have a question that you would like to ask, you can always use our help pages to find the answer, or you can call one of our Customer Service staff, who will be happy to assist you.
- Car Hire 4 Less are responsible for losses you suffer as a result of Car Hire 4 Less breaking this car rental agreement if the losses are a foreseeable consequence of Car Hire 4 Less breaking the car rental agreement. Losses are foreseeable where they could be contemplated by the both you and Car Hire 4 Less at the time our car rental agreement is formed. Car Hire 4 Less are not responsible for indirect losses which happen as a side effect of the main loss or damage and which are not foreseeable by you and Car Hire 4 Less (such as loss of profits or loss of opportunity).
- Car Hire 4 Less shall not be liable itself or vicariously through its local car rental suppliers for either a failure to perform or delay in performing any of its obligations under or pursuant to this booking, voucher, reservation, rental or terms and conditions, if and in so far as performance is delayed , hindered or prevented by force majeure, which expression shall mean any event beyond the reasonable control of the party in question. In the event that the force majeure persists for more than 14 consecutive days, Car Hire 4 Less may terminate and withdraw this booking, reservation or rental by giving 14 days notice to the clients original billing address.
Our Recommendation To You
- As part of our continued commitment to quality customer service, we strongly recommend that, prior to signing our local car rental partners rental agreement, you ensure that the insurance details on this agreement match those insurance details on your Car Hire 4 Less car rental voucher. Any additional insurance purchases accepted to your credit card after car the rental agreement has been signed will be your own financial responsibility.